Air Date: 7-20-2012| Episode: 252
Industrial Hygiene Consulting, Inc. (previously operating as Jacobs Environmental, Inc.) was founded in 1997 by Mr. Bruce Jacobs, who continues on today as President and Principal Consultant. ..
Industrial Hygiene Consulting, Inc. (previously operating as Jacobs Environmental, Inc.) was founded in 1997 by Mr. Bruce Jacobs, who continues on today as President and Principal Consultant. Mr. Jacobs has accumulated 38 years of experience in the environmental and safety & health profession. Mr. Jacobs developed gas chromatographic analytical methods, and validated some of the initial uses of diffusion-based sampling and analytical methods for air contaminants, as a Chemist for the U.S. Army. He also developed industrial hygiene policy documents and standards for the U.S. Army. Additionally, he managed the industrial hygiene program for the Chemical Agent BZ Demilitarization Facility at Pine Bluff Arsenal, AR. Finally he developed the “IAQ Index” as a health-based, easy-to-understand, air quality index that is calculated for various parameters commonly measured during IAQ surveys. (The approach is similar to the EPA’s Air Quality Index that has been used historically to communicate the risks posed by common pollutants in the ambient air.)
Mr. Jacobs has experience as a chemist, toxicologist, industrial hygienist, and environmental manager; and has worked with federal, state, and local governments; construction companies, large and small engineering firms, tunneling contractors, chemical companies, pharmaceutical and flavor companies, health care facilities, schools and universities, manufacturing facilities, heavy industry, land developers, home builders, commercial contractors, legal firms, and individual homeowners.
Bruce Jacobs, MHS, CIH President of Industrial Hygiene Consulting in Abingdon, MD was today’s guest on IAQ Radio. Bruce has accumulated 38 years experience as a chemist, toxicologist, industrial hygienist and environmental manager. Bruce’s experience led him to develop the IAQ-Index a screening tool for indoor environments.
Nuggets mined from today’s show:
· While active air sampling is done with a sampling pump, passive sampling can also be a very useful tool. One passive sampling method involves badges containing adsorption media worn by workers or building occupants.
· IAQ-Index is first option screening tool which samples for carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, total VOCs, molds, radon and formaldehyde. Reminiscent of traffic signal uses a green (good), yellow (marginal), red (poor), and black for (toxic levels). IAQ-Index is an indoor air quality screening tool patterned after EPA’s outdoor Ambient Air Quality Standard.
· When experimenting with methods to deactivate and detoxify VX nerve agent, scientists found that an even more hazardous substance was accidentally created as a byproduct.
· Radon is the most hazardous contaminate people face indoors and doesn’t receive enough attention.
· Be concerned not overly concerned about indoor air quality.
Today’s music: Industrial Disease by Dire Straits
Z-Man signing off