Air Date: 2-10-2012| Episode: 235
CIRS-WDB Illness Enters the Genomic Era This week we welcome back Ritchie Shoemaker, MD to discuss the latest research on what he and others call Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) from Water Damaged Buildings (WDB)...
CIRS-WDB Illness Enters the Genomic Era This week we welcome back Ritchie Shoemaker, MD to discuss the latest research on what he and others call Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) from Water Damaged Buildings (WDB). This week we focus on the how the use of genomics is changing or should be changing the medical community. Dr. Shoemaker will give us a background on the issue and review some presentations from the 6th International Scientific Conference on Bioaerosols, Fungi, Bacteria, Mycotoxins in Indoor and Outdoor Environments and Human Health. Dr. Shoemaker and his colleague Jimmy Ryan, PhD have been doing some fascinating research focused on how genomics data can be used to help understand the mechanisms behind CIRS-WDB, lyme disease and other medical maladies.
Ritchie Shoemaker, M. D.
Ritchie Shoemaker, M. D., is a recognized leader in patient care, research and education pioneer in the field of biotoxin related illness. In his daily practice, Dr. Shoemaker’s daily treats many patients who have illness acquired following exposure to the interior environment of water-damaged buildings (WDB). Whether you are in agreement with his theories or you are a critic, you will likely agree that Dr. Shoemaker is smart and passionate. Dr. Shoemaker is clearly fired up about Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome and genomics.
Nuggets mined from today’s broadcast:
· Medical colleagues are taking Dr. Shoemaker seriously with over 500 MDs subscribed to his www.survivingmold.com website.
· The nasopharynx (nasal part of the pharynx) is the uppermost part of the pharynx. It extends from the base of the skull to the upper surface of the soft palate, The nasopharynx is a reservoir of aerobic bacteria some of which produce biofilms. I was surprised to learn that didn’t find much fungal colonization there according to Dr. Shoemaker it is the wrong kind of habitat for fungi.
· Sepsis is a severe illness caused by overwhelming infection of the bloodstream by toxin-producing bacteria. SIRS = Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS). CIRS = Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome.
· Bacteremia is an invasion of the bloodstream by bacteria without a significant host response. Occurs when bacteria enter the bloodstream. Sepsis is bacteremia and host inflammatory response.
· ICD-9 -International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, codes are in the public domain.
· Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide, aka VIP is a peptide hormone, encoded in the VIP gene. Has been shown to correct chronic inflammatory response syndrome acquired following exposure to water damaged buildings. Provided that VCS is negative; nasal culture is negative by API-STAPH and ERMI is < 2.
· PAXgene Blood RNA tube, preserves all or most messenger RNA. Can be used as a predictor of Water Damaged Building Related Illness.
· Not dose response (but host response) my words not Dr. Shoemaker’s – host inflammatory response is initiated when an external foreign antigen introduced in the body.
· MSH “Melanocyte-Stimulating Hormone”.
· Junk Genes- 98% of genes have unknown functions- Junk Genes- Presently, only the function of a few percent of the DNA is known, the rest has been believed to be useless garbage, commonly called “Junk DNA” by molecular biologists. Increasing evidence is now indicating that this DNA is not “junk” at all.
· Differential Gene Activation, when people are getting sick. Human leukocyte antigens aka HLA testing for people with disease. This is especially important in CIRS, Post-Lyme and CIRS-WDB.
· Profound Genetic Immune Response Gene-MS is thought to be an autoimmune illness, wherein the immune system mistakenly recognizes normal body tissues (in this case, brain and spinal cord tissues) as “foreign” and tries to get rid of them, resulting in inflammation and damage. Marker is demyelination, oligoclonal bands, IgG synthesis index, high TGF beta-1 and low levels of CD4+CD25+ T reg cells.
· HERTSMI-2 is a scoring system that applies water saturation indices testing to the DNA shown on ERMI test results.
· Opined that fungicide benomyl causes fungal mutation. Benomyl was added to paints in 1970 to control Aureobasidium pullulans.
Dr. Shoemaker has been making a positive difference in the lives of patients who have not found relief in more conventional medical treatment.
Question from Dr. Shoemaker when we showed him this blog
What is a “conventional medical treatment” that works? We have published on over 2500 treated cases with before and after labs compared to over 500 controls. Who has such a series in “conventional therapy?” where is their double blinded trial? Answer next week.